Car insurance shopping can be confusing, and when you’re looking for cheap auto insurance that still offers you adequate coverage, you need to take many different factors into account in order to find the best deal. One of the most helpful tools you can have when you’re looking for cheap auto insurance is a car insurance checklist like the one below. Keep this checklist on hand when you request quotes so you can be sure you don’t forget anything that could get you a better deal.
- Your personal information. You’ll need your legal name, driver’s license number and address.
- Information about your car. Write down your car’s make, model, and year.
- Mileage. Make a note of the mileage on your car before you request any quotes. Also estimate the amount of miles you drive each month.
- State legal coverage requirements. Though each insurance carrier will automatically pull up your state’s legal coverage requirements when they know your address, it’s a good idea to be aware of them yourself.
- Accidents or moving violations. These will be automatically calculated into your insurance rates based on your driver’s license information. However, if you have not been involved in accidents or had any moving violations for the past three years, most carriers will give you a discount.
- Defensive driving course. If you’ve completed a defensive driving course, ask how this influences your insurance rates. Most carriers offer discounts upon proof of completion.
- Anti-theft and safety devices. If you have an anti-theft device in your car, write down its make and model, and list any safety devices such as airbags and anti-lock brakes.