Ensuring that your biggest asset which is of high priority for you and your family is financially secured by home owners insurance and also equally considering coverages to shield your personal assets. You will not know when and what kind of injuries will be sustained by anyone on your property. You will also not know the heights of damage which will occur or unintentionally being caused by any of your family member. Incidents and it’s severity cannot be predicted and hence a claim over your personal liability and law suits for it. Liability costs are not covered by your home insurance policy to greater extent, hence recommending more coverage on personal liability.
Liability Insurance – Two Types
- Home Insurance Personal Liability: Personal liability insurance covers bodily injury and/or property damage against every claim and law suits causing any accident when on your property or if your personal activities results in any damage or injury at your house. Home Business related damages and loss are not included.
- Home Insurance Medical Payments: Medical Payments coverage is a another form of liability insurance basically covering others to pay for medical treatment of injured at your home or in your property. It includes doctor’s fees, hospital stays, x-rays, and other similar expenses.
Property owners have this huge responsibility of maintaining safe conditions in and around their home to avoid any injuries for people coming home or when on their. There are different categories of people who might visit your property and you will be held liable for any incident occurring and protecting these specific groups of people is major duty of a home owner.
- Invitees: Category of people who are invited by the home owner for general purposes of work at their premises. Contractors and workers are usually labeled invitees.
- Licensees: A person who does not have any relation contractually with the owner of premises but he has the permission to go to the premises is known as a licensee. A licensee is typically considered as a social guest welcome at any residence.
- Trespassers: A person who steps into the premises of another person without any permissions implied by the owner, purely for their amusement or benefit is known as a trespasser. Skateboarders in a swimming pool, not having a finish will fall into the category without any evidence, then the owner exercises a duty in order to avoid injuries to the trespasser.
Home liability insurance is generally included in policies. But it comes usually with $100,000 coverage which is not sufficient when some other person is injured severely. So its always better to play safe by setting $300,000 coverage or even more in case of any accident at your home. This just requires an increase on your premium rates slightly resulting in tremendous peace.