Proof of your insurance will be available in the Motor Vehicle Division Database (MVD), but if there is no electronic record at all then you should be ready to show some other proof for your insurance
- Insurance Card :
Those cards which are under the International Registration Plan (IRP) or self insured are considered as valid proofs for the car insurance. But just the car insurance cards are not considered to be the proof of your car insurance, state requires the carriers to give them and the car owners should always carry with them while driving.
- Self-Insured Information :
As a proof of financial responsibility you can use the certificate of self-insurance and self insured information card from safety Fire Commissioner or Office of Insurance when you insure your car yourself.
- Insurance Binder :
Your District Of Columbia car insurance will be issued a binder if at all you are buying the car insurance for the first time. The binder will be valid only for 30 days and this is one of the way to show the proof of your insurance.
- Bill of Sale/Declaration Page :
If you have purchased a new car, copy of the bill along with insurance declaration page can be provided as proof of insurance just for 30 days.
- Shop for Car Insurance :
- Do not take hasty decisions by just seeing one car insurance company. Keep shopping regularly and take your time to check all the car insurance companies.
- To get the best combination of price and quality, contact as many car insurance companies you can and also the insurance agents.
- Plan yourself what you want before buying because later you should not end up buying something you do not require.
- Take a look at each company’s financial stability, underwriting practices, claim handling practices and policyholder services.
- Check about the discounts.