Your doctor would advice you not to ignore minor symptoms related to health. Similarly, do not ignore even the minor sounds or smell from your vehicle. It can simply mean, it needs a mechanic. Below are some signs you might not want to ignore. A precaution can avoid accidents or break down of your vehicle.
Some one can be so addicted to listening to music while driving. It’s good to turn off the music once in a while and listen to your car. If you can hear any sound then your car is trying to tell you something. Sounds like ticking, clunking and louder clicks are warning signals. Clunk sound indicates a bad shock absorber. Ticking when the car is on rest indicates need for oil change. Loud clicks signals problem with CV joints. When ignored, the damage could be expensive to be repaired.
Other sounds like grinding, squealing and squeaking are mostly related to brakes and can be easily recognized. Worn out brake pads usually throw squealing noises, asking the owner for a replacement. Sometimes the squeaks can also be due to the dust, water, sand or other factors of environment. Grinding noise indicates improper functioning of brakes. However, louder grinding noise can be signs of major issues which needs a quick check.
Smells – Trust Your Nose
Strange smells such as something burning and fuel smell cannot be ignored. Burning smell could have caused flames. Stop and see if any flames are visible. If not, call a mechanic if the smell continues. Fuel smell can occur when there is a leakage. Be cautious, it can cause engine fire.
Lights to Warn You
Most of the vehicles manufactured will have in built warning lights. If something is wrong in your vehicle, these lights signal you. However, a tripped connection can be really hard for you to analyze the problem. If the temperature or oil light signals you, then immediately call for help. Lights from tire pressure and engine check can have a mechanic looked upon in a day or two.
You can save money that you might end up spending on repairs by properly maintaining and a regular check of you vehicle. Specially when the vehicle has achieved great mileage and is old. To have that peace of mind and increase vehicle’s longevity, there are different ways and below are few tips to help in getting most out of your investment.
- Regular Check on Tires: To know how suspension and steering is performing, have a check on your tire wear. A shoulder wear or excessive edge indicates that maintenance is needed. Check regularly for tire pressure, spare parts as tires might get a premature wear. Conduct an inspection on side wall and tread areas to find any irregularities in wear or unevenly placed parts can cause damage to your vehicle.
- Check for Brakes Frequently: Have a thorough check of shoes, pads, rotors, fittings, calipers, parking brake and brake hardware. If squeal is found in brakes then replace it immediately.
- Check on Fluid Levels at Times: You need to change and replenish engine oil when needed. Check for lubricants and vehicle fluids and check them at regular intervals. If found dirty fluids, it will damage your vehicle’s engine.
- Check for Hoses, Engine Belts, and Fuel Filter: Preventing a breakdown or a serious damage on engine by a measure of replacing hoses and belts at regular recommended intervals is a must as a drive belt alone can supply power to many accessories of engine and also hoses are found to carry fluids vital to your vehicle under heavy pressure.
- Change Air Filter: Protecting vehicle’s engine from contaminants in done by the air filters. If there is no sufficient air flow to the engine, it effects the performance and will also result in fuel consumption to greater extent. An air filter helps in easy flow of air free of dirt for better performance and longer life.
- Check for Battery and it’s Performance: Critical part of the vehicle is the battery which helps in start up, running of ac and other accessories. If you find a corroded, cracked or bulged terminals, it’s a clear indication that the battery has reached its extreme condition and has to be checked or replaced. Battery life is limited, it has to be tested and replaced when necessary.
- Check Wiper Blades: If wiper blades are worn out then it affects the ability to see vehicles and road in front of you making the driving difficult. It is better to opt for all season wiper blades which helps in smooth operation and greater visibility. These blades are reliable, durable and gives strong performance.
You can never predict what nature acts like, specially in winter. With quite a number of accidents occurring on wet roads or rainy weather, it is important for the car drivers to be alert and look upon their driving habits in these winter months. With fluctuating weather, from thunderstorms to snow or to heavy rains. With mother nature behaving so erratically, ensure safety while driving and be prepared for the worst.
It’s Winter – Be Safe on Roads
When winter is nearing and you can feel the snow coming down, this is an important time to brace up and prepare for driving on snow. Do follow the below tips for a safe journey:
- With winter comes bad roads and hence bad driving conditions, prepare your vehicle for it.
- While driving faster you can easily lose control of your car specially on icy roads. Normally you need to maintain good distance between your and another car ahead of you. You need to slow down and have a smooth driving.
- Clear visibility is a must. Before you start off, make sure you have cleared the snow off your car to let others see your vehicle and you to have clean vision of roads. Keep a broom large enough to push off the snow. Ensure defroster, defogger and heater are in good working conditions. These will avoid steamy windows.
Vehicle Safety – In Winter
You living in suburbs or city, driving in winter needs that extra precautions for safety of vehicle.
- Tires when worn, slip easily. This will skid your vehicles, hence ensure tires with tread to avoid sliding and good traction while braking.
- Make sure to have full tank or at-least more than half of gas filled tank. If got strangled or stuck in between, your engine heat comes as a rescue. Keep the window open when you in car with running engine.
- Thorough check of your vehicle’s tire pressure, atleast once in a month. Always have a spare and jack in your car before you set out for driving. Keep the tires cool before the check of pressure.
- Always check for an update on weather and then step out of the house for a drive. Do not take chances with varying conditions of nature.
- Emergencies can occur anytime, be prepared for it. Carry a warm blanket, flashlight, first aid kit and extra batteries always when driving.
Hybrid electric car also known as HEV. It has two main sources an electric motor and an internal combustion engine. Hybrid cars store their energy generated by the wheels movement and runs using the same kinetic energy, process called as regenerative braking. HEV’s have more environmental and economical. Hybrid cars combine more sources to generate power mainly gasoline and electricity, used as more of passenger vehicle. There are two types of electric cars running purely on gasoline called series and parallel hybrid cars having an hybrid engine.
Why One Should Buy A Hybrid Car ?
Hybrid cars are becoming popular because of their appeal to a huge range of customers. The Ohioans appreciate the amazing fuel economy and the ultra low emissions. And this has great savings and low depreciation to the people of Ohio by bringing them economical conscious.
- Due to the low fuel emission it helps control the most important “Greenhouse Effect”
- Hybrid cars have good demand today and they have their value better than the gasoline automobiles.
- Burning the fossil fuels will release very harmful pollutants. But the amount of fuel that is burnt will be reduced by allowing the environment to dispose the pollutants naturally.
- Using Hybrid cars can save a lot of petrol and paralytically pollution will also be avoided. Just by switching from an ordinary car to hybrid car one can save up to 500 dollars in a year.
- To avoid air pollution today hybrid car technology has been accepted world wide as a solution.
Many of the states are offering incentives for the hybrid cars and assist the people buy the hybrid cars. This often add up to thousands of dollars saved.