A worst crash which ever happened between a car and a bicyclist occurred in U.S, since then both are at odds. When any car collides with the bicycle, the consequences of it is always worst for the bicycle rider. As per the records of National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than 750 cyclists were killed in road accidents and nearly 50,000 were injured badly in the year 2008. The accident rate was high majorly in urban areas usually in day time by evening. Sadly, most of the accidents occurred killed a child between age group of 10 to 15 years.
Looking at the rate at which bicyclists accident was happening, Wisconsin state government rolled out few rules and regulations in order to avoid such incidents.
- Maintain a distance of 3 foot between you and the bicyclist. Give them clearance.
- When you take turns while driving, give yield to bicyclists the way you give it to a car.
- Be very careful specially when driving by neighbor hoods or near by schools. Pave way for kids.
- When moving your car from parking lot or while opening car doors, look behind for cyclists.
- When you are driving behind a bicycle, slow down while taking turns at any intersection. Do not try to over take them. This might lead to a collision.
Measures to be Taken by Cyclists
- Even the cyclists have to follow the same traffic rules as any vehicles. Ride in the same lane, check for signals, yield in a right way for other vehicles or bicycles and follow the traffic accordingly.
- While cycling at night or in dark, wear reflectors or headlights. Ensure the headlights are clearly visible till certain distance for other vehicles nearing you.
- Ride with a helmet.
- Do always signal before you take turns.