For some, cheap auto insurance is a pipe dream. Even teaming up with the best car insurance company in the world won’t save you from having to pay seemingly extortionate rates for coverage. In many situations, it’s not a case of you being a horrible driver—but the company that you keep while behind the wheel.
- Driving with Rambunctious Children: Okay, first things first. This isn’t an indictment of all parents out there who happen to have children who’d just as soon ride on the hood of your car as sit quietly in the backseat. Kids will be kids, we all know this. But failing to keep your little ones strapped down with seatbelts and proper child safety harnesses is asking for trouble that you don’t need. And if your younglings have a predilection for freeing themselves from car seats and the like, always pull over to reseat them. Never do this while driving.
- Driving with Pets: You’ve probably seen it before, some Joe driving down the street with a poodle sandwiched between the steering wheel and his chest. It might look cute, but it’s anything but safe. Even conscientious drivers who are dog lovers have a hard time witnessing this, as this not only puts the pet in serious harm, but also increases the likelihood that the driver will become distracted and lead to Poofy’s untimely end—or that of the rear bumper of the car ahead of them. If you have to bring along the pets everywhere you go, be sure to place them in a crate or kennel to limit the potential for accident and injury.
- Driving with Friends: In many states, it’s illegal for teenagers of certain ages to drive with more than one person in the car at a time. This is enforced because of the high rate of accidents caused by distracted driving. But you don’t have to be a kid to be easily distracted by a carload of passengers. If you have to cart a group of friends around, be sure to insist that they keep the noise level down so you can drive safely. You may come off like a square, but at least your driving record will stay clean.
Obtaining cheap auto insurance doesn’t have to be an impossible dream. Remember that it’s frequently the actions you take behind the wheel which lead to avoidable accidents and painfully high car insurance rates. If you take action now to clean up your driving habits, you’ll eventually be able to take advantage of good driver discounts.
There is such a thing as getting an easy car insurance quote online, but there’s no such thing as guaranteeing a low rate if you’re the type of person who takes unnecessary risks behind the wheel and gets into accidents. And for many who are prone to making some of the bonehead moves listed below, there’s also no such thing as a low auto insurance quote.
- Talking at the Wheel: There’s a reason that many states are starting to make laws that require you to wear an earpiece if you prefer to spend you driving time catching up on the drama of daily life. Even if it’s still not illegal where you live, however, it’s always responsible to limit your behind the wheel talk time so that you can pay attention to the task at hand.
- Speeding at the Wheel: If you’re interested in removing yourself from the pool of individuals capable of getting an easy car insurance quote, breaking speed limit laws is a guaranteed way of doing just that. They say that some people were born with a lead foot, but that certainly doesn’t excuse you from attempting to exercise restraint when you’re sharing the road with other law abiding citizens. If your speeding ticket record and accident history is forcing you to pay insurance premiums that you can’t afford to make, don’t complain about corporate greed. Take a look at your driving habits, and change them.
- Controlling Your Car Stereo at the Wheel: There’s a reason that many people sink money into trunk-located CD changers and MP3-enabled car stereos. Of course, that reason is rarely ever to facilitate a safe driving experience, but there’s nothing that says you can’t look into either one of these if you find yourself spending far too much time looking away from the road and far too much time fiddling with your car CD player while driving.
People compare auto quotes all the time, going over the fine print of their proposed insurance agreements until that fine print becomes nothing more than a blur. But while there are many things that you can look for to ensure you’re getting the cheapest quote on auto insurance, it’s what you do behind the wheel that really has the biggest impact on how much you pay—as well as what you don’t do. Avoiding certain behaviors, like the ones below, are your best bet to avoiding accidents and securing a cheap car insurance rate.
- Reading at the Wheel: That’s right, reading at the wheel. You may be thinking to yourself right now (or even shouting it aloud) “Who the heck reads while they’re driving??” But the fact is, there are more people out there than you’d care to imagine who enjoy breaking up the monotony of a long drive by busting out their favorite paperback. If you absolutely have to keep up with the latest adventures of Harry Potter and friends, just make sure you’re listening to the audiobook while you drive.
- Working at the Wheel: The busybody never stops, even when it’s time to settle down and pay attention to the road ahead. Talking on the phone to clients, reading and responding to email, and jotting down notes are common activities of people who turn their cars into extensions of their office.
- Grooming at the Wheel: We’re all guilty of taking quick glances in the rearview mirror to make sure our hair isn’t too tousled, but the vast majority of us do this while stopped at a light, or waiting for a pedestrian to clear our path. And yet from time to time, you’ll actually witness people grooming themselves while in full motion, whether it’s the guy in the Camaro combing his hair or the lady in the Focus applying eyeliner at 65 mph.
You can compare auto quotes all day, but that fact is you’re probably wasting your time if you partake in any of the activities listed above. Sooner or later, your accident record will start to cost you heavily.