Getting car insurance quotes online is one of the easiest ways of comparing and buying car insurance. No matter where you are, so long as you have an Internet connection with your computer, laptop or smart phone, you can go to an online comparison site and request a free quote. What follows are five frequently asked questions about requesting car insurance quotes and buying insurance online.
- Does my car insurance policy have to be in the same name as my car loan? Yes, it does. Lenders require that the person responsible for the loan provide adequate insurance for the vehicle.
- I’m learning to drive with a learner’s permit. Do I still need insurance? Yes, you do. All vehicles on the road are required by law to be properly insured, which means that even if you don’t have your driver’s license, your name should still be on the car’s insurance policy.
- Do I need underinsured or uninsured motorist coverage? This depends on your state’s minimum coverage requirements and your own comfort level. Underinsured or uninsured motorist coverage can be invaluable if you’re involved in an accident with a driver who isn’t insured.
- Can I transfer my policy when I buy a new car? Yes, all insurance carriers will be happy to transfer your policy to your new car, though you’ll probably pay higher rates for a newer car.
- Are online quotes legally binding? No, they aren’t. If you like a quote, you can take the next step in buying car insurance, which is to fill out and sign the actual paperwork.