Your insurance company may cancel your insurance policy or may refuse to renew it sometimes. So one should first understand the difference between non-renewal and cancellation. There is lot of difference between the cancellation and non renewal of the insurance policy. Your insurance policy can be canceled in two ways, either by the insurance company itself or by you itself. Your insurance policy can be canceled if you feel that you do not need the policy any more. Just by inform the insurance company that your canceling your policy. The end of your insurance policy at the normal expiration date is non-renewal.
Watch How The Policy is Canceled ?
Your insurance policy must be canceled before your previous policy ends. Your insurance policy can be canceled after 60 days only with the following conditions:
- You should always provide proper and accurate information to the insurance company when you are purchasing the policy. The insurance company itself can cancel your policy if you do not provide accurate information.
- Any driver who stays with the insured person or operates your vehicle regularly, then the state will suspend driver license or vehicle registration. The company also should provide 45 days written notice before canceling the policy.
- If the premiums are not paid monthly properly as specified then the insurance company will cancel your policy.
Be Safe with Non-renewal
Non renewal of a policy does not mean that the insurer has done something wrong. It means that company is focusing on different forms.
- Overweening accidents or claims – If you have done more number of accidents the insurer may not renew his policy. If the underwriting guidelines are not met then also you policy is not renewed. If you have only one not at fault accident within three years then the company will not reject to renew your policy.
- Traffic violation – If a insurer has done a major violation like DUI then also the insurer does not renew the insurance policy. If you have many minor convictions then also the company will not renew your policy.
- Guidelines from Company – If you do not qualify for any coverage then the company has all rights to deny renewal of your policy. Few instances such as more of comprehensive or towing claims, coverage for your sports car and etc. do affect your renewal process.