It’s important to keep auto insurance updated since what kind of coverage may be needed changes more often than people think. How old a vehicle is, the age of the person driving, and how much individual drives can all affect what type of insurance is needed. The following are four tips for getting the best insurance possible.
1. Understand Coverage Requirements
Every state has different coverage requirements. Some states have no-fault laws, which means an insurance company is required to pay for injuries no matter who is at fault. It’s necessary to find out what the legal minimum requirements are in the state the individual will be purchasing auto insurance. Basic types of insurance include the following:
- Liability – This covers bodily or property damage.
- Collision – This covers any damage to a vehicle.
- Comprehensive – This covers damage to a vehicle that isn’t the result of an accident. This usually includes theft, vandalism, or natural disasters.
2. Evaluate Individual Insurance Needs
Age, marital status, and location are all factors that will determine what kind of insurance each individual should purchase. If a person is still making payments on a car more insurance will normally be required than if the car is already paid for. A person’s driving record may also determine would kind of insurance would be needed.
3. Consider Add-Ons
Add-on insurance is a personalized coverage that will meet the needs of each individual driver. There are several types of extra insurance a driver may want to consider.
- Accident Forgiveness – This is for drivers that have a good record and rarely get into an accident. Some companies may provide accident forgiveness for a single incident.
- Roadside Assistance – Everything from running out of gas on the highway to having a vehicle breakdown can be frightening. A policy can be purchased to provide towing and other types of roadside assistance.
- Equipment Coverage – Many standard policies don’t always cover extra items or equipment. Extra insurance may be necessary to fully cover items such as certain types of chrome rims or a new stereo system.
4. Make Sure to Shop Around
The easiest way to check as many rates as possible is to do it online. To save time and find the type of insurance that fits each driver’s needs, it’s a good idea to find a site that provides information about several insurance companies. AgentInsure can help drivers find independent insurance agents that provide the type of insurance they want. Check out the online rater at AgentInsure to find an insurance quote.